Hello and happy Tuesday!
We hope you all enjoyed a great La Mercé festival weekend! I want thank the team at Online Geniuses Barcelona for putting on a fantastic event last week! For those of you that don’t know about this group yet, you most definitely should! We’re thrilled to be a part of it, but I’m always scared I’m going to spell “geniuses” wrong…
Also a big shout out to the first ever graduating class of Harbour.Space University! This school is a shining example of the future of higher education and we applaud the massive effort to bring it to life! Congratulations to the entire H.S community!
Now, as we wrap up September, we look forward to the month ahead full of great events!
Don’t miss the first ever Startup Grind Barcelona Conference on October 9-10th! The event features keynote speakers from global startups and educational workshops to grow your business today. You can get 40% off tickets with the code: B4rc1nn0
Our friends at Le Wagon invite you all to their Demo Day & Open House Party this Friday after work.
And next week, the 14th DataBeers BCN hosts some great speakers next Monday at Fabrica Estrella Damm.
Lastly, although we try to avoid political discourse here, the thousands of armed police, tanks, raids, arrests and acts of censorship are extremely upsetting to see in our city and unacceptably void of core democratic principles.
While we do not have a position on independence, we unequivocally support the right to self-determination – for people to decide their own system of government – as a fundamental human right.
As we head into the uncertain days leading up to October 1st, we hope for peace and open dialogue between Spain and Catalunya this week and going forward.
Ok, long intro this week, eh? Let’s get to it – here’s what you need to know in Spanish tech. Have a great week!
THIS WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
Startup & Investment News
- Spanish SaaS startup Sales Layer lands €1,2M
- Barcelona IoT startup Roomonitor raises €650k
- Catalan football VR startup SoccerDream gets €500k from HTC, Wuaki TV founder & others
- Spanish wind power technology firm AEROX receives €500k
- Barcelona startup Santafixie gets €500k for expansion plans
- Spain-based financial management tool Finutive lands €60k
- Barcelona project Finboot amongst 8 startups selected for Repsol’s 6th edition of entrepreneur fund
- Barcelona firm Maths for More acquired Design Science
- Women health startup B-wom prepares series A funding round to expand into the US market
- 3 Spanish tech experts launch Gate 93, a new VC in the US that aims at investing in companies from Spain
- Acciona launches first energy & infrastructure startup accelerator
- Barcelona startup profiles, interviews & success stories:
- Capital Cell, the Barcelona-based equity crowdfunding platform for Biotech projects, expands to the UK
- Aviation industry headed to Barcelona for World Routes
- Spain’s data protection watchdog fines Facebook €1.2M for breaking data privacy rules
- Telefónica & Banco Santander managers: Europe needs technological champions and should adapt regulations to make firms more competitive
- Negotiations ongoing between Uber, Cabify and Spanish governments about new laws and regulations
- Founder of Japanese fashion store Uniqlo: “We want to be bigger than Spain’s Inditex”
- Fibre internet usage in Spain surpasses ADSL for first time
- FDI in Catalonia grows 20.6% in first 6 months of 2017
GREAT EVENTS THIS WEEK
Wed, 27 Sep @ 19:30: FuckUp Nights Barcelona
Thu, 28 Sep @ 19:00: DrinkEntrepreneurs September
Thu-Fri, 28-29 Sep: Global Open Innovation Summit
Fri, 29 Sep @ 19:00: Demoday & Open House Party
Sat, 30 Sep @ 15:00: Fintech deepdive: Banking view
See the full Event Calendar here
STARTUP JOBS IN BARCELONA
Barcelona Startup News September 26 2017 cover all the latest stories about Barcelona’s Tech & Startup scene from September 19th until September 26th, 2017.