All around us we hear that people are reading less and less these days. So how do you attract an audience’s attention to tell your story or market your business? Video is the answer: the preferred way to transmit information in a quick and easy format. Additionally, it’s easy to share to wide audiences on different channels. The visual impact of a video boosts your message, because images and creativity underline and visualize concepts that in words might be a bit vague or abstract. It’s why they say, an image is worth a 1000 words… One of the main goals of visualization is to absorb large amounts of data quickly and help understand a complex idea in images.
Currently, we can witness that (research) reports and (business) thoughts are being supported with a video which highlights an interview, a news item or a staged setting the main outcomes. McKinsey, World Economic Forum, TED; they all use the power of a video to spread their message and unique content. The big players launch their products online through video. Furthermore, videos are a tool to tackle online marketing trends and the micro content trend of less is more. Image-centric content will rule, as Forbes contributor Jayson DeMers wrote. So, what are you waiting for startups – start filming?
However, directing a video is not an easy job. This is exactly where BCN Startup Video is of added value: creating professional startup videos. Founder Matt Wright launched BCN Startup Video to help other startups in producing their video. “All good startups need a video to sell their product and tell their story to the world. Right now, a unique video that sells your startup is as important as having a website. Everyone has a website. So stand out from your competition, impress your customers and investors, and make a startup video.”
To help raise awareness in the Barcelona startup community about startup videos, BCN Startup Videos launched the #lovestartupvideocompetition today. The prize being a free startup video worth €3000!
How can you win this prize? You should produce your own video using the Vine app or Instagram Video app, with the instruction ‘Tell us about your startup’. Note that the Vine app gives you only 6 seconds of video, and Instagram 15 seconds. You will need to think creatively to stand out from the crowd and win the competition!
To help you a bit, we asked the BCN Startup Video selection committee what will be their selection criteria:
- Matt (Founder, cameraman, editor): “I’ll be looking at how creative your startup video is. Will I be blown away by your video concept and production skills? I know there’s a wealth of talent out there, and I’m confident we’ll be watching some super cool, original and funny videos very soon. I’m looking forward to being knocked back off my chair in amazement.”
- Victor (Producer, sound engineer, post production): “What’s being used in front of the camera to tell your story? Are there people in this video, or has something else been used to tell your story, like objects animated using stop motion?”
- Mar (Producer, Ideas Strategy, PR): “Does the video make us laugh or feel empathy with your startup? What emotion will you convey in your video?”
Matt has some more tips and tricks for making a video. “Producing a video always starts with creating a unique video concept. What story will you tell? What format will the video take? How will you produce this video? This is the most important part of the whole process.” In order to make a good video, also think about logistics and the total picture. So when you win the competition, what kind of things will be considered for shooting the real startup video:
1. Do you hire an actor or perform it yourself?
2. Which equipment is needed? Cameras, audio, tripods, lighting and more.
3. Where do you want to shoot? One or multiple locations? Office, studio, luxury apartment, hotel, rooftop terrace.
Afterwards, it’s time for post-production: editing, special effects, motion graphics, animation etc. This makes your video tell its story and to stand out from the crowd.
Entries for the competition can be submitted to BCN Startup Video via Twitter @bcnstartupvideo before Wednesday 30th October 2013. For more details on the competition, click here. Enjoy making your videos! We are looking forward to watching your Vine and Instagram entries being shared on twitter and wish you good luck!