Keeping with the spirit of “Ideas Worth Spreading,” TEDx is the locally organized spin-off of the TED speaker series that began over 30 years ago in California. On December 5th, TEDx Barcelona Women will be alongside other TEDxWomen events taking place simultaneously in 150 cities around the world. These events will connect live with the TEDWomen event held in San Francisco discussing women’s role in the spirit of Silicon Valley, with a mission to solve major global challenges.
The local edition of TEDxBarcelonaWomen will feature 15 international professionals sharing their experiences involving men into the dynamics of gender equity.
“Despite efforts over the past decades to achieve greater equality between men and women, progress has been very limited in some fields: there are still high rates of violence against women and there is a lack of women in leadership positions. The aim of this TEDx event is to emphasize that gender equality is not just a women’s issue, but rather a global need that also includes men.”
Through their inspiring personal stories, music and artistic expression, the TEDxBarcelonaWomen speakers will act as agents of change pushing for greater gender equality across the world.
The TEDx Barcelona Women Speakers:
- Susan Fonseca – – Singularity University and Women@TheFrontier, USA, “Gamechangers ” Women’s Network.
- Justin Reeves – 10×10 and documentary Girl Rising, USA. The power of girls’ education to change the world.
- Araceli Segarra – Alpinist. Spain. First Spanish woman to climb Mont Everest.
- Amber Fares – Documentary Speedsisters, Palestine. The Middle East’s first all-women motor racing team.
- Miguel Lorente – Spain. Forensic doctor and gender violence specialist.
- Tim Shand – Sonke Gender Justice, South Africa. How to involve men and boys in policies against gender violence.
- Marta Nomen – Grup 33, Spain: Social reintegration of women and men in jail and a new model for prisons.
- Gary Barker – Instituto Promundo, Brazil . MenCareGiving Initiative, dealing with transformation of male attitudes in caring for people.
- Emmanuelle Duez and Aurelie Sykes-Darmon – WoMen’Up, France. Students’ and entrepreneurs’ network. Initiative “What does Generation Y want?”
- Sofana Dahlan, Saudi Arabia, CEO of Tashkeil, a Saudi Arabia-based social enterprise that Incubates & promotes Creative Entrepreneurs.
- Joyce Ngumba – Akili Dada’s Innovation in Leadership Program, Kenya. Incubation of young women leaders in Africa.
- Will Muir – Equal Community Foundation, India. Paradigm shift in teaching children.
- Stefania Druga, Hackidemia, Rumania. The influence of gender and stereotypes in the design of games and toys for children.
- Music performance by Man Ex Maqina group composed by Max Moya (Ojos de Brujo, Asian Dub Foundation, Nitin Sawhney), Tal Ben Ari and Anglo – Algerian artist Ayesha, a fusion of electronic sounds, voice and body percussion.
The upcoming TEDxBarcelonaWomen event will take place on Thursday, December 5th, 2013 in the Espai Francesca Bonnemaison kicking off at 16:00.
For more information on the event, the speakers or to get your tickets, visit www.tedxbarcelonawomen.com