Well, there’s nothing like some good ole’ fashioned authoritarianism to round out the weekend. Let’s go ahead and rip this bandaid off clean:
The aggressive use of military force and police brutality against a peaceful citizenry is unacceptable and we join the global condemnation of the Spanish government’s acts of violence.
Fortunately, the vast majority voting yesterday took place peacefully as more than 2.2 million people turned out express their right to self-determination across Catalonia.
I’m in awe of the incredible display of self-restraint to remain peaceful in face of violence. We send our thoughts and best wishes to the 844 citizens that were injured yesterday in the shameful attacks by the Guardia Civil.
With yesterday’s ugliness behind us, we hope for peaceful dialogue in these uncertain days ahead. It’s with that in mind, that we move back into our forté, Barcelona’s inspiring and rapidly growing startup community!
Join us 1 week from today at the first ever Startup Grind Barcelona Conference taking place on October 9-10th! If you haven’t already done so, you can save 40% off tickets with the code: B4rc1nn0
Have a safe and productive week and we’ll see you out there!
Ok, let’s take a look at the latest Barcelona startup news from this week:
THIS WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
Startup & Investment News
- NYC and Barcelona based LetGo quietly raises $100M
- Barcelona startup Glovo closes €25M investment round
- Spanish firm Bipi secures a €2,5M investment
- Catalan biotech startup Vytrus Biotech raises €470k and hopes to reach €550k through crowdfunding
- eDreams completes integration of Budgetplaces and launches new technological platform
- Barcelona sports online store Deporvillage doubles capacity of it’s logistic center amidst rapid growth
- Ofertia now allows people to save their customer loyalty cards on their smartphone wallet
- IESE launches Women Angels for Entrepreneurs program in Barcelona & Madrid
- Car repair startup Bubocar has expanded to Barcelona
- Barcelona startup profiles, interviews & success stories:
- Catalan economy records 3,5% GDP growth in 2016
- Humanoid robot Sophia to participate in round tables at IoT Solutions World Congress in Barcelona
- CDTI director says that more work should be done for the Spanish population to understand the importance of R&D
- Dockbit CEO: “Barcelona needs more technological education centers”
- Correos Express finally lets customers select their preferred delivery date and time slot
GREAT EVENTS THIS WEEK
Mon, 2 Oct @ 19:30: 14th DataBeers Barcelona
Tue, 3 Oct @ 19:00: Pitch Your Startup to Senior US Executives
Wed, 4 Oct @ 18:45: 11th Barcelona Recruitment Meetup
Wed, 4 Oct @ 19:00: ICOs & Tokens, the killer app for Blockchain?
Wed, 4 Oct @ 19:00: Nomadtalks: Bitcoins and Blockchains
Wed, 4 Oct @ 19:30: Free Code Gym at BCN Code School
Thu, 5 Oct @ 19:00: The Grid Talks: The Future of Work
Fri, 6 Oct @ 10:00: ChemInnova (Expoquimia)
Fri-Sat, 6-7 Oct: PMCampBCN 2017
See the full Event Calendar here
STARTUP JOBS IN BARCELONA
Barcelona Startup News October 2, 2017 cover all the latest stories about Barcelona’s Tech & Startup scene from September 27th until October 2nd, 2017.