Hello and Happy Monday! We hope you had a great weekend and are enjoying this early summer!
To kick things off, we have some great events approaching. Don’t miss Orchestrate on April 6th – the one-day conference dedicated to devops culture, orchestrate and related technologies. Barcinno readers save 20%.
For the marketing-minded, on Thursday, April 7th, we’re hosting an expert roundtable featuring the head of marketing from 3 of Barcelona’s fastest-growing companies: Kantox, DEXMA & Talent Clue.
Next Monday, March 27th, HardwareXchange hosts their 2nd event featuring Merce Tell, VC from Avet Ventures and Juan Diaz, CMO of PuzzlePhone. Want to know just how hard hardware is? Don’t miss it!
Sonar+d has extended their call for startups for this year’s Startup Garden in June. Apply to pitch your startup at Sonar 2017!
Last but not least, our friends at Wayra are putting out the call for new innovative startups to enter the famed accelerator program in Barcelona. You can more information and apply here.
Ok, let’s take a look at the latest Barcelona startup news from this week:
THIS WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
Startup & Investment News
- Barcelona’s crowdlending platform LoanBook raised €1,75M through crowdfunding
- Genetics laboratory Imegen secured investment from Q-Growth Fund and Biolty
- Banker Vicente Rodero has acquired a 10% stake in fashion startup Sellers n’ Bloggers
- Barcelona’s digital house-cleaning platforms GetYourHero and Clintu have merged
- Athos Capital Fund I, a new €10M VC capital fund, was launched in Barcelona
- Logistic firm OnTruck delivered 1000 loads in first quarter of operation in Barcelona
- Barcelona’s FirstV1sion POV camera has made its debut in the English Rugby league
- Barcelona business school IEBS and BBVA join forces to boost entrepreneurship
- Wayra & Eleven Paths opened call for cyber security program & will invest in 3 startups
- 1st Wayra Global Call 2017 is open & looks for 8 startups to join Barcelona program
- 40% of startups from Barcelona invoice more abroad than in Spain according to Stripe
- Startup Genome has published its 2017 report, features 2 pages about Barcelona
- Catalonia is aimnig to convince European Medicine Agency to set up its base in the city
- 110 firms & over 2500 delegates to attend BioTech Fair BES in Barcelona this week
- Barcelona will host Advanced Factories – an industry 4.0 congress with 9000 attendees
- Catalan firm Zero2Infinity successfully launched its first rocket from the edge of space
- Barcelona’s Accent Systems developed technology for Samsonite to locate lost luggage
- Catalonia’s Fractus Antennas developed smartphone technology to remove antennas
- Barcelona presented its plan to tackle air pollution in the city but is it really enough?
- Why cities like Barcelona need Uber, even though taxi drivers may disagree
- IAG launches new startup airline “Level” in Barcelona & starts with €99 BCN-LAX flights
- 500 firms already inform Spanish Tax Agency about bills in real-time ahead of new law
- Spaniards don’t drink tap water mainly due to taste according to study by TAPP Water
- GOOD READ #1: Dear startup founder, you do not need a growth person
- GOOD READ #2: Don’t accelerate your startup
- GOOD READ #3: How to optimise your startup project for learning
- GOOD READ #4: Understanding investors: from business angels to venture capitalists
- GOOD READ #5: Investing isn’t suited for supporting friends or projects you “like”
GREAT EVENTS THIS WEEK
- Tue, 21 Mar @ 18:45: Amir Salihefendic, CEO and founder of Doist (doist.com)
- Tue, 21 Mar @ 19:00: First Tuesday BCN: Philippe Gelis & Toni Rami, Kantox founders
- Wed, 22-23 Mar @ 08:00: eFintech Show – The new challenger Banks
- Thu, 23 Mar @ 19:00: Our journey with ReactJS – By Cornerjob
- Thu, 23 Mar @ 19:00: Barcelona FinTech Panel
- Sat, 25 Mar @ 09:00: Women Techmakers Barcelona 2017
See the full Event Calendar here
STARTUP JOBS IN BARCELONA
- Online media company LoveToKnow is looking for a Senior Frontend Engineer
- AI SaaS Startup Cien is hiring a Node.JS Full Stack Developer
- Platformable is recruiting a Research Assistant / Jr. Business Development Officer
- Ticombo is looking for a CTO / Techlead for their Angel backed startup
- Instagrafic is hiring a Junior Backend Developer for its office in Granollers
- Clubkviar is expanding and hiring a Junior Sales & Account Manager
- Kompyte is recruiting a Front-end Developer for its competitor tracking software