Job type: Permanent
Title: Chief Technology Officer
The Chief Technology Officer’s role is to assure the successful execution of the company’s business mission through development and deployment of the company’s web presence and technical backend. This requires envisioning the company’s service offerings as a web-based business, leading implementation of web applications, and planning for risk and growth.
Strategy & Planning
• In partnership with the company’s founders, identify opportunities and risks for delivering the company’s services as a web-based business, including identification of competitive services, opportunities for innovation, and assessment of marketplace obstacles and technical hurdles to the business success.
• Identify technology trends and evolving social behavior that may support or impede the success of the business.
• Evaluate and identify appropriate technology platforms (including web application frameworks and the deployment stack) for delivering the company’s services.
• Lead strategic planning to achieve business goals by identifying and prioritizing development initiatives and setting timetables for the evaluation, development, and deployment of all web-based services.
• Participate as a member of the senior management team in establishing governance processes of direction and control to ensure that objectives are achieved, risks are managed appropriately and the organization’s resources are used responsibly, particularly in the areas of software development, office networks and computers, security, and telecommunications.
Implementation & Deployment
• Select or define the company’s software development methodology, preferably using Agile.
• Establish and supervise a quality assurance process, including integration and system testing.
• Establish an application deployment process and supervise deployment to staging and production servers.
• Ensure that technology standards and best practices are maintained across the organization.
• Share knowledge, mentor, and educate the organization’s investors, management, staff, partners, customers, and stakeholders with regard to the company’s technological vision, opportunities, and challenges.
• Ensure company technical problems are resolved in a timely and cost-effective manner.
• Develop, track, and control the development and deployment annual operating and capital budgets for purchasing, staffing, and operations.
• Ensure the company’s internal technological processes and customer-facing services comply with community expectations and applicable laws and regulations for privacy, security, and social responsibility.
Formal Education & Certification
• University degree in the field of computer science. An advanced degree in one these fields (computer science, IT security, etc.) is a plus.
Knowledge & Experience
• Demonstrated ability to envision web-based services that meet consumer needs or solve business problems.
• Several years of experience managing web application development.
• Several years experience with startup companies – preferably leading their tech department in a scalable manner while experiencing accelerated growth stages.
• Good understanding of information security vulnerabilities and good risk management practices. Candidates with stronger security capabilities are preferred.
• Hands-on experience coding in more than one currently popular web application framework.
• Familiar with more than one software development methodology.
• Ability to discern user requirements and develop specifications.
• Has contributed to one or more open source projects.
• Familiarity with Ruby and Ruby on Rails, or comparable technologies.
• Knowledge of web standards.
• Experience with UNIX system administration and web server configuration.
• Knowledge of Internet protocols and RFC standards, database management systems, and revision control systems.
• Familiarity with technical requirements of Internet marketing and search engine optimization.
• Familiarity with consumer privacy and payments industry compliance requirements.
• Exposure to business theory, business process development, governance processes, management, budgeting, and administrative operations.
• An understanding of transactional and payments systems, crypto-currencies, the technical side of the financial services industry, either via direct experience in an entity involved with these fields, or through the candidate’s own personal work/projects/code relevant to the above, would be appreciated. In this case, please add any relevant sample/dossier to your application.
• Self-motivated and directed.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Ability to set and manage priorities judiciously.
• Team player.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
• Keen attention to detail.
• Superior analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities.
• Exceptional service orientation.
• Leadership ability.
• Ability to motivate in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
For a confidential discussion, please send all relevant information (resume, work samples, white papers, letters of recommendation) to email@example.com